The week of 11-15 April is packed with ministerial meetings of interest for the Council. These include, the Foreign Affairs Council on Monday 11 April and the General Affairs Council which will take place on Tuesday 12 April. As well, the meeting of the Directors-General responsible for the environment will be held in Paris on Tuesday and the videoconference of the Directors-General responsible for health will take place the following day. From Monday to Wednesday, the Committee for the European Research and Innovation Area (ERAC) will meet in Strasbourg together with the Council working group responsible for research. As for the Parliament, the MEPs will be carrying out constituency work, and committee meetings will start up from the following week (18 -22 April)
Following are the main dossiers to be discussed during the week in the digital, energy and health fields.
- Monday 11 April 2022: The meetings of the Council Working Group on Competitiveness and Growth with a focus on regulation continue, while the Competitiveness and Growth Working Group with a focus on the Internal Market will meet on Wednesday 13 April.
- Tuesday 12 April 2022: The meeting of the Directors-General responsible for the environment will be held in Paris. The meeting will be attended by Member State representatives and by the Commission’s Directorate-General responsible for EU environmental policy (DG ENV).
- Wednesday 13 April 2022: a videoconference of the Directors-General responsible for health. The meeting will be an opportunity to discuss the creation of a ‘European emergency reserve’ of medicines of strategic importance based on RescEU (the European plan created in 2019 to strengthen EU civil protection). But not only that, the participants will discuss the HERA incubator (the authority for the preparation and response to health emergencies).
- Monday 11 April 2022: During the Foreign Affairs Council the ministers will hold an exchange of views on recent events and on the topical issues in the field of external relations. Specifically, the Council will address the Russian aggression of Ukraine, and will debate on the Global Gateway, the new European strategy aimed at promoting smart, clean and safe connections in the digital, energy and transport sectors.
- Monday 11 – Wednesday 13 April 2022: The informal meeting of the Committee for the European Research Area and Innovation Committee (ERAC) and the Council working group on research will take place. The task of the Committee is to advise the Council – in particular, the Competitiveness Council -, the European Commission and Member States on the priority areas of the European Research Area (ERA).
- Tuesday 12 April 2022: Ministers at the General Affairs Council will discuss the situation on the rule of law in relation to each country, and will exchange views on the Conference on the Future of Europe.