The week from 9-15 May includes the following events. Europe Day will be celebrated on Monday 9 May, , a date commemorating the signing of the Schuman Declaration. Many events of interest have been organised by the European Commissioners. Als well, on Monday, at the European Parliament in Strasbourg, the report on the final results of the Conference on the Future of Europe will be presented. The committees responsible for the Internal Market (IMCO) and Civil Rights (LIBE) will also be meeting this week, as well as those responsible for the Environment (ENVI) and Development (DEVE). The latter will have the opportunity to discuss the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with Commissioner Paolo Gentiloni. But that is not all. The meeting of the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) of the European Medicines Agency, and the meeting of the European network of heads of agencies for environmental protection will be held in Paris. While the informal meeting of the Working Group responsible for General Affairs will be held in Reims, France.
Last but not least, the 28th EU-Japan Summit will be held in Tokyo next Thursday 12 May. On behalf of the Union, the summit will be attended by the President of the European Council, Charles Michel, and the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen. The EU-US Trade and Technology Council (TTC) will also meet (for its second time) on Sunday 15 and Monday 16 May.
- Wednesday 11 May 2022: During the joint meeting of the committees responsible for the Internal Market (IMCO) and for Civil Rights (LIBE), the draft report on the regulation on Artificial Intelligence (AI) drawn up by the two co-rapporteurs, Brando Benifei (Italy, S&D) and Dragos Tudorache (Romania, Renew), will be examined.
- Sunday 15 and Monday 16 May 2022: European Commission executive vice-presidents, Margrethe Vestager and Valdis Dombrovskis, will co-chair the second meeting of the EU-US Trade and Technology Council (TTC), together with the US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken. The council’s aim is to coordinate transatlantic initiatives on key trade, economic and technological issues. This is in order to ensure a global digital transformation based on shared democratic values.
- Wednesday 11 May 2022: Commissioner Paolo Gentiloni will have the opportunity to exchange views with MEPs from the committees responsible for the Environment (ENVI) and Development (DEVE) on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Thursday 12 and Friday 13 May 2022: The European network of heads of environmental protection agencies will meet in Paris. The meeting will be attended by the directors of the national agencies, the Directorate-General responsible for environment at the European Commission and the executive director of the European Environment Agency (AEA). On the agenda there will be topical issues such as the just transition, the opportunities and impacts of the digital transition, the Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism (CBAM), and the circular economy.
- Tuesday 10 and Wednesday 11 May 2022: the meeting of the European Medicines Agency (EMA), Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP), will take place in Paris. The committee with its opinions supports the European Commission in deciding on the marketing authorisation of medicinal products at European level.
- Monday 9 May 2022: The report on the final results of the Conference on the Future of Europe at the European Parliament will be presented in Strasbourg.
- Thursday 12 May 2022: The 28th EU-Japan Summit will be held in Tokyo, Japan. The European Council President, Charles Michel, and the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, will participate in the summit. At the end of the meeting, leaders are expected to adopt a joint declaration and launch the “digital partnership” between the EU and Japan.
- Wednesday 11 to Friday 12 May 2022: The informal meeting of the Working Group responsible for General Affairs (GAG) will take place in Reims in France.